6-6. FIRE PUMP - Continued
Impeller (11) is a tight fit on shaft (12). Use an arbor press.
(2) Install wear rings (10). If undersize wear rings (10) are required, install them at this time. If a new
impeller (11) is needed, also install new standard size wear rings (10) for it.
(3) Install stuffing box ends (9), packing (8 and 8A), and adjustment glands (7C). Adjust half glands
(see para k.).
(4) Install grommet (7B) and flinger disk (7A).
(5) Install new oil seal (7) in bearing housing (6).
(6) Press bearing housing (6) on shaft (12) and install snap ring (4A).
(7) Install new gasket (2) and bearing housing cap (1) with screws (4) and lockwashers (3).
(8) When installing impeller shaft assembly (12), be sure that the wear rings (10), and stuffing box ends
(9) fit into their respective slots in body and volute cover. THESE SLOTS MUST BE CLEAN
Serious injury could occur if heavy equipment is moved/lifted without sufficient
personnel to do the job. Use proper physical lifting procedures or use a suitable
lifting device or dolly. Wear safety shoes, gloves and other suitable protective
clothing. Area should be clear of other personnel. Serious injury or death can
result from falling objects.
(9) An effective guide can be made for installing the volute cover by cutting the heads off two 1/2"-13-
NC x 3 in. Iong bolts. Screw these studs into the pump body near the dowel pin locations.
(10) Whether using the threaded rods or a transmission jack, be sure to raise the volute cover and
transmission case evenly, or the impeller shaft parts may not enter the body properly or engage the
(11) Install transmission (see para e.).