6-6. FIRE PUMP - Continued
Installation of Pump.
(1) Support the pump with a suitable jack.
(2) Carefully raise pump up between frame racks. Be aware of attached tubing and wires.
Truck should be raised or supported by
floor hoist or jack.
(3) Carefully move pump side-to-side to gain access to
suction adaptor bolts
a. Install adapter (1) using eight 3/4" bolts (2) per
adapter (total 16).
(4) Install four bolts and nuts which secure pump to mounting
(5) Replace tie straps for tubing and wires.
(6) Connect tank discharge plumbing.
a. Support discharge plumbing.
b. Install flange to pump body.
Install eight 3/8" bolts.
(7) Connect aerial plumbing and pump flange.
and support aerial plumbing (4).
b. Connect discharge valve rod (5).
(8) Install transmission (see para e.).
(1) Packing replacement is a five step process. The steps are listed below and then described in detail
in the paragraphs that follow:
Select work site, procedure.
Remove old packing.
Clean stuffing box and shaft.
Install new packing.
Adjust new packing.
(2) The stuffing boxes have six packing rings cooled and lubricated by water supplied from a
pressurized lantern ring at one end of the stuffing box. The packing is placed between this lantern
ring and the adjustment glands at the other end of the stuffing box. Graphite packings are used.