6-6. FIRE PUMP - Continued
CS STUFFING BOX WATER PASSAGEWAY
INSPECTION ROD INSERTION DEPTHS
(11) Inspect stuffing box water supply passageways.
(12) Remove stuffing box hose and pipe plug for stuffing box water supply passageways.
(13) Visually inspect or insert 1/8" (3 mm) diameter rod into the three passageways as shown. Note the
proper insertion depth.
(14) Clogged passageways can be backflushed by pressurizing the pump body (from hydrant or other
pump) after the packing has been replaced in each stuffing box.
(15) Remove as much old packing lubricant as possible from the stuffing box and shaft with a clean,
dry, lint free cloth (Item 42, Appendix E) wetted with a solvent. Rinse stuffing box with water after
(16) Lubricate stuffing box bore and shaft with automotive engine oil (Item 20, Appendix E).