6.32. PISTON, CONNECTING ROD AND LINER
This task covers:
c. Follow-on Maintenance
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
Shop Equipment, Automotive
Maintenance and Repair
Remover assembly, cylinder liner
Engine Installed on Engine Stand
Clamp, cylinder liner
Oil Pan Removed (see para 5-27.)
Repeat steps (1) through (4) for each cylinder liner.
(1) Move piston (1) so top is just above air inlet
ports in cylinder liner (2).
(2) Place clean rag on top of piston (1) to catch
carbon deposits as they are removed from
cylinder liner (2).
(3) Scrape carbon ridge from top of cylinder liner (2)
(4) Remove rag and carbon residue from cylinder
Do not use scribe or punch to mark piston,
connecting rods or cylinder head mounting
surface. Leaks may be caused.
Using identification tags, mark each rod and
piston with location.
(5) Turn engine stand to upside down position.
Remove two nuts (3) from two bearing cap
(6) Remove connecting rod bearing cap (5) with
bearing shell (6).