6-33. PISTON REPAIR
This task covers:
d Follow-on Maintenance
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
Compound, international No. 2)
Shop Equipment, Automotive
Maintenance and Repair
Brush, paint, oval 1-1/4 in. (32 mm) size 12
Tool, piston pin retainer (Appendix B, Section 111, Item 47)
Gauge, crown, piston (Appendix B, Section 1II, Item 48)
Piston, Connecting Rod and Liner Removed
(1) Place connecting rod (1) in vise
with soft jaws.
(2) Remove three upper piston rings
(2) using piston ring remover and
installer. Remove four lower
piston rings (3) by hand.
(3) Remove oil ring expander (4)
from each lower piston ring
(4) Punch hole in two piston pin
retainers (5). Remove both
(5) Loosen two screws (6).
(6) Remove connecting rod (1) and
piston (7) from vise.
(7) Remove two screws (6) and
two spacers (8).
Matchmark connecting rod before removal.
(8) Remove connecting rod (1) from piston (7