6-19. TRANSMISSION REPAIR. (Continued)
e. Synchronizer and Springs Repair.
The synchronizer hubs and sliding
sleeves are a selected assembly
and should be kept together as
originally assembled, however the
keys and two springs may be
replaced if worn or broken.
(1) If the relation of hub and sleeve are not marked,
mark them for assembly purposes.
(2) Push the hub from the sliding sleeve. The keys
will fall free, and the springs will be easily
(3) Place the two springs in position (one on each
side of the hub) so all three keys are engaged
by both springs.
Place the keys in position and while holding
them in place slide the sleeve onto the hub.
Align the marks made before disassembly.
f. Drive Gear Retainer Oil Seal Repair.
(4) Support front surface of retainer (6) in press.
(1) Remove retainer (6) and oil seal assembly (64).
(a) Start seal (64) and tool in retainer bore.
(2) Pry oil seal (64) out of retainer (6).
Drive seal (64) into retainer (6) until tool
(3) Install new seal (64) on front bearing retainer
flange bottoms on retainer as shown.
seal installer with lip of seal toward tool flange.
(5) Install new gasket (7) on retainer (6) and install
retainer on transmission case (23) when