TRANSMISSION - Continued
(60) Install low shift valve, low clutch trimmer valve and lockup cutoff valve assemblies to control valve assembly
with original mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 12 ft lb (16 Nm).
(61) Complete valve assembly is ready for final
Converter Housing Removal, Inspection And
Repair Of Charge Oil Pump.
(1) Remove the two screws (2) and washers
(3) retaining the pitot tube from inside the
(2) Remove seven bolts (4) and washers (5)
from inside the converter housing.
(3) Remove nine bolts (7) and lockwashers (8)
retaining the converter housing to the
transmission housing (two bolts removed
when holding fixture was installed).
(4) Attach a three strand lifting sling (1) and
remove the converter housing. Remove
pitot tube (6).
downward. Remove and discard the two
front support hub seal rings (9). Remove
thrust bearings (2) and race (11) from the
front support hub.
(6) Insert a piece of 2 X 4 wood through the
converter housing access opening, about
14 in. (356 mm) into the housing. Remove
four of the six bolts A retaining the oil
pump assembly. Loosen the remaining two
bolts B, leaving about four turns of thread
(7) Press on the wood 2 X 4 (51 X 102 mm)
and tap alternately on the two loose bolts.
This will dislodge the oil pump. Remove
the two remaining bolts, and allow the
pump to drop onto the wood support.
Remove the pump assembly. Remove the
seal ring from the outer circumference of
(8) Remove the screw (12) that retains the
cover (13) to the oil pump body (14).
Remove the cover, seal ring (15) and the oil
pump body containing the drive gear and
driven gears (2 of). If any of the 3/4 in.
plugs in the oil pump body are damaged,
replace them with new plugs.
(9) Remove the roller bearing (16) from each
driven gear (17), and the oil seal (18) from the
pump assembly, if replacement is necessary.