Coating Optical Components - Continued
(20) Press and release METER READ switch (9) then adjust ZERO SET knob (8) for 0 indication on
DISCHARGE GAUGE (4).
(21) Place range selector switch (24) to the 10-4 position. If indication on DISCHARGE GAUGE (4) is above
1, let unit pump down until indication of 1 or less than 1 is obtained.
(22) Place range selector switch (24) to the 10-5 position and monitor DISCHARGE GAUGE (4) for an
indication of 5 or less.
Do not proceed to step (23) until the SUBSTRATE TEMPERATURE GAUGE (2) indicates a
temperature of not less than 400 degrees Fahrenheit and the DISCHARGE GAUGE (4) indicates 5
(23) Rotate FILAMENT ADJUST knob (23) fully counterclockwise and set FILAMENT PWR switch (12) to the
To prevent injury to the eyes, always wear welding-type goggles when observing filament for
(24) While observing filament (8, fig. 9-31) slowly rotate the FILAMENT ADJUST knob (23) clockwise until
spattering occurs. Then slowly rotate FILAMENT ADJUST knob counterclockwise until spattering stops.
During the coating process, observe the reflection of the heat lamps on the lens elements. The
lens elements will change colors as the thickness of the coating increases. The desired thickness
of coating has been obtained when the reflection on the lens elements turns purple to bluish-
purple in color. (550 to 600 millimicrons).
(25) Start the coating process by positioning the spatter shield lever (21) to the left.
(26) When the desired thickness of coating is obtained, the coating process is stopped by positioning the
spatter shield lever (21) to the right.
(27) Rotate FILAMENT ADJUST knob (23) fully counterclockwise and turn FILAMENT PWR switch (12) to
the OFF position.
(28) Rotate HEATER ADJUST knob (3) fully counterclockwise and turn range selector switch (24) to the OFF
Change 2 9-33