Coating Optical Components - Continued
KEY to figure 9-31:
Holding fixture cover
Allow approximately 12 minutes for the diffusion pump to reach operating temperature after the
power has been applied. This will prevent internal damage to the diffusion pump.
(15) Turn DP WATER valve (16) fully counterclockwise and place DIFF PUMP switch (13) to the ON position.
(16) Turn BACKING VALVE (18) fully clockwise to the closed position. Turn ROUGHING VALVE (19) fully
counterclockwise to the open position.
THERMOCOUPLE GAUGE (5) should indicate approximately 50 microns before proceeding to next
(17) Rotate ROUGHING VALVE (19) fully clockwise to the closed position. Rotate BACKING VALVE (18)
fully counterclockwise to the open position. Set THERMOCOUPLE switch (7) to the TC 2 position and
place HIGH VACUUM VALVE (20) to the up position.
o Coating can not be applied to lens elements until SUBSTRATE TEMPERATURE GAUGE
indicates a temperature of at least 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
o If indication on SUBSTRATE TEMPERATURE GAUGE exceeds 450 degrees Fahrenheit, adjust
the HEATER ADJUST knob counterclockwise to reduce temperature.
(18) Place HEATER PWR switch (11) to the ON position and rotate the HEATER ADJUST knob (3) fully
clockwise. Monitor SUBSTRATE TEMPERATURE GAUGE (2) for an indication of not less than 400
degrees Fahrenheit and not more than 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
(19) Place range selector switch (24) to the ZERO position.
Allow 30 seconds for cold cathode tube to reach operating temperature before proceeding to next