5-26. POWER STEERING PUMP - Continued
(1) Apply pipe sealant (Item 2, Appendix E) to all fittings.
(2) Remove protective plugs from pump ports and install fittings (10 thru 14).
(3) Install new gasket (8) and pump (5) making sure key in shaft engages drive slot.
(4) Secure pump (5) with two lockwashers (7) and two capscrews (6).
(5) Connect hoses (1, 2, 3 and 4) to pump.
To prevent damage to pump vanes, be sure power steering
reservoir is refilled before starting engine.
(1) Refill power steering reservoir with Dexron II, (Item 12, Appendix E).
(2) Connect batteries (see para 4-114.).
(3) Start main engine and check hose connections for leaks and, if necessary, tighten fittings.
(4) Turn the steering wheel fully left and fully right and make sure the response to turning is smooth and
(5) Install curbside operator panel (see para 4-26).