5-39. STEERING GEAR-Continued
Pack the area around the input shaft with high temperature grease (Item 15, Appendix E) and
install the dirt and water seal (40), using seal driving tool or suitable blunt-ended drift.
Apply more of the high temperature grease to the cupped side of the new seal protector (33) and
assemble it, cupped side in, on to the worm shaft/input shaft (1) and into the serration relief groove.
Install manual bleed screw (62) into the gear housing (18) and torque it to 27-33 in. Ib. (3.1-3.7
(1) To center the steering gear, rotate worm shaft/input shaft (1) until the timing mark on the end of
sector shaft (2) is perpendicular to the worm shaft/input shaft.
Initial worm preload adjustment was accomplished in step (43)
before assembly of sector shaft (2).
(2) Tighten sector shaft adjusting screw (8) to provide 25 to 30 in. Ibs. (2.8 to 3.4 N.m) of torque
required to rotate the worm shaft/input shaft (1) through 1800 each side of center. Note this alue.
This procedure will properly mesh and seat the rack piston teeth
and sector shaft teeth for final adjustments.
(3) Loosen sector shaft adjusting screw (8) one turn and note maximum torque required to rotate the
worm shaft/input shaft (1) through 180' each side of center.
(4) Adjust sector shaft adjusting screw (8) to increase maximum torque in step (3) by 2 to 4 in. Ibs.
(.23 to .45 N.m). Torque jam nut (7) using a 3/4 inch socket, to 40 to 45 ft. Ibs. (54 to 61 N.m) and
check worm shaft/input shaft torque again. Re-adjust if worm shaft/input shaft torque exceeds 20
in. Ibs. (2.3 N.m).
(5) Adjust worm shaft/input shaft adjusting screw (26), a 5/16 inch Allen wrench or screwdriver
required, to increase maximum worm shaft/input shaft (1) torque in step (3) by 10 to 15 in. Ibs. (1 1
to 1.7 N.m). Torque sealing nut (25) to 70-80 ft. Ibs. (95-108 N.m) using a 1-1/16 inch socket and
check worm shaft/input shaft torque again. Readjust if worm shaft/input shaft rogue exceeds 35 in.
Ibs. (4.0 N.m).
e. Follow-on Maintenance.
(1) Install steering gear (see para 4-161).
(2) Connect batteries (see para 4-114).