TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
BATTERIES CAN EXPLODE !
Batteries generate explosive gases. Keep sparks,
flames, burning cigarettes or other ignition sources
away at all times.
BATTERIES CONTAIN SULPHURIC ACID!
Sulfuric acid is poison and can cause severe burns.
No one should work near a battery either in a vehicle or on the
bench, without knowing and observing the safety precautions
described in this manual.
Service personnel should be familiar with the proper
procedures to be used before attempting to test or charge a
battery or to "jump" start a vehicle having a discharged
The equipment manufacturer's instructions must be followed
when any equipment such as a battery charger or tester is
DANGER OF EXPLODING BATTERY
Hydrogen and oxygen gases are produced during normal
battery operation. These gases escape through the battery
vents and may form an explosive atmosphere around the
battery if ventilation is poor. Explosive gases may continue to
be present in and around the battery for several hours after it
has been charged.
To prevent ignition of gases within the battery sparks, flames
or other ignition sources should be kept well away from the
Be careful that tools or other metallic objects do not fall
across the battery terminals or between the ungrounded
terminal and any adjacent metallic part which is grounded.
Do not break "live" circuits at the terminals of batteries
because a spark usually occurs at a point where a "live" circuit
is broken. Make certain the charger cable clamps or booster
leads are clean and making good connections. A poor
connection can cause an electrical arc which could ignite the
gas mixture and explode the battery.
Anyone in the vicinity of the battery when it explodes could
receive injuries, including eye injury from flying pieces of the
case or cover or acid thrown from the battery.
Do Not smoke, strike a match or bring any other
flame into the vicinity of the battery. The eyes
must be shielded when working near a battery.
Never lean over a battery during charging, testing
or "jump starting" operations.
HANDLING BATTERY ACID
Use extreme care to avoid spilling or splashing battery
electrolyte (which is diluted sulfuric acid) as it can destroy
clothing and burn the skin. When working with acid, such as
filling batteries, wear safety goggles. Protective clothing is
Do not place a battery or acid within the reach of children.
Electrolyte splashed into the eyes is extremely dangerous. If
this should happen, force the eye open andflood it with cool,
clean water for approximately five minutes. A doctor should
be called immediately.
If acid (electrolyte) is taken internally, drink large quantities of
water or milk. Follow with milk of magnesia, beaten egg or
vegetable oil. Call physician immediately.
If electrolyte is spilled or splashed on clothing or the body, or
any surface of the vehicle, it should be neutralized
immediately with a solution of baking soda and water and
then rinsed with clean water.
If it becomes necessary to prepare electrolyte of a desired
specific gravity, always pour the concentrated acid into the
water--do this slowly-never pour water into acid. A dangerous
"spattering" of the liquid would result. This is caused by
extreme heat which is generated whenever water is mixed with
strong acid. Stir the liquid continually while acid is being
When handling a plastic cased battery, excessive pressure
placed on the end walls could cause electrolyte to spew
through the vents. Therefore, always use a battery carrier to
lift these batteries or lift them with your hands placed at
CTS-2771 Page 3
PRINTED IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA