REAR STEP, TOW RINGS, AND HOSE REEL DOOR - Continued
The rear step is not an assembly. Parts making up the group may be removed individually. For hose bed
removal, remove only:
tow rings (1)
rear trim RH (2)
rear trim LH (3)
rear step (4)
mounting plate LH (5)
mounting plate RH (6)
detach heat retainers from door only
hose reel rollers will be removed when rear step and mounting plates are removed.
(1) If the step itself is to be removed, tag and disconnect the harness wires from the right rear lamps of the truck
and pull harness back through the rear step.
(2) To pull harness clear, remove marker lamps and associated wires.
(3) All components may be removed individually. Use procedures in para. 2-7 to remove fasteners
(1) No particular order of assembly is required. Prior to installation of any part, coat mounting area of part with a
1/8 in. bead of sealant (item 25, Appendix B).
(2) Use procedures detailed in para. 2-7 for lockbolt and rivet installation.
(3) When all metal parts are attached, install wire harness through rear step support channel and up Into hose
body rear boxes. Ensure all holes in body through which harness is drawn are fitted with suitable grommets
(4) Connect wires as tagged in step 1 of REMOVAL preceding.
(5) Install marker lamps.
(6) Test all lamps to ensure all wires are connected correctly.
(1) Minor body damage such as dents and bends, may be straightened using basic body repair tools.
(2) Chipped or damaged surface protection may be repaired by spot painting (para. 2-7).
(3) Severely damaged components must be replaced. When this is required use the REMOVAL and
INSTALLATION procedures preceding to replace such panels
2-23 ( 2-24 Blank)