4-31. FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION - Continued
4-31.2 Springs - Continued
(1) Wipe all parts clean. Use pressure washer
as required. Use wire brush to remove rust
(2) Inspect spring pins and shackles for
excessive wear or corrosion. Spring pins
should fit snugly into bushings and shackles.
(3) Inspect spring bushings for excessive wear.
(4) Inspect spring leaves for cracks and
deformities. Check spring dimensions as
shown. Check the spring dimensions
whether it is an old spring or a new one
being replaced. The dimensions shown are
the same for a rear or front spring.
(5) Check all bolts and nuts for excessive
(6) Replace all parts failing inspection. Discard all U-bolts and locknuts. These must always be replaced
whenever they are removed.