4-28. ENGINE - Continued
(1) Drain the engine cooling system by opening the draincock (16) on the bottom of the oil cooler housing.
(2) Loosen clamps (1) and slide hose (2) down on the water inlet elbow.
(3) Remove capscrews (4), and lockwashers (5). Remove elbow (3) and gasket (6). Discard gasket.
(4) Remove capscrews (10), washers (9), nuts (12) and washers (11) and withdraw the water outlet flange
(8) and seal (7). Discard gasket.
(5) Remove bolts (15) and washers (14) and remove oil cooler housing (13) and core (18) as an assembly
from the engine.
(6) Remove and discard gaskets (17 and 19).
(7) If the adapter plate (24) is to be removed, remove oil filter and mounting cover as detailed in para. 4-
(8) Remove capscrews and lockwashers attaching plate (24) to engine.
(9) Remove and discard gaskets (26).
(1) Clean the oil passages in the oil cooler core using either a solvent or caustic solution.
(2) Clean the water side of the oil cooler with an acid solution. Remove from the acid as soon as the
bubbling stops. Flush cooler in clean water.
(3) Dip cooler in oil when cleaning is complete.
(1) If the oil cooler adapter (24) was removed, use new gaskets (26) and attach the adapter to the cylinder
block with bolts and lockwashers.
(2) Affix new gaskets (17, 19) to the inner and outer faces of the cooler flange (18) and insert the oil cooler
core in the oil cooler housing (13). The inlet and outlet openings in the oil cooler core are marked "IN"
and "OUT". Make sure the oil cooler core is reinstalled in its original position.
(3) Place the housing (13) and oil cooler core (18) against the adapter plate (24) and secure with bolts (15)
and lockwashers (14).
(4) Install a water outlet flange (8) and new seal (7). Secure the flange to the cylinder block with bolts (10),
nuts (12) and lockwashers (9, 11).
(5) Affix a new gasket (6) to the oil cooler housing and secure the water inlet elbow to the housing with
capscrews (4) and lockwashers (5).