6-72. PLANETARY SPEED REDUCER-Continued
g. Unit Assembly,
When all the subassemblies are complete, the unit is ready to be assembled. Start with case as- sembly (14)
with internal end down (end with 12 holes) on press table. Apply thick layer of high temperature grease (item
(1) Invert output shaft assembly (threaded side down) and carefully lower it into case (14) until
bearing cone (33) is seated.
(2) Press shaft seal (34) into case until it is flush, using either a press fixture or hammer and large
flat-ended bar or rod.
(3) Invert unit and stand it on pinion gear end of output shaft (13).
Output shaft and case are not retained together at this point, so
securely invert unit, not allowing shaft and case to separate.
Care should be taken not to damage output shaft or injure your
feet if shaft falls out of case.
(4) While holding gear end of output shaft (13) with one hand, rotate case (14) to be sure it moves
freely. The slight resistance you feel is due to the seal load on the output shaft.
(5) Slide spacer (32) over threaded end of output shaft (13) until it comes to rest on lower shaft bearing
cup (36). Install shims (31) in same manner until they come to rest on top of spacer. Use same
number of shims that came out of unit to allow correct bearing preload.
(6) Apply a thick layer of high temperature grease (Item 15, Appendix E) to surface of upper bearing cup
DO NOT continue to press bearing on after it is seated. this will
cause rollers to damage race resulting in premature bearing
(7) Slide bearing cone (15) small end down, over threaded end of output shaft. Press bearing on slowly
until it is just seated. If you can hold pinion gear end of output shaft (13), and rotate case (14) while
pressing bearing on, it will be seated when all rollers are rotating evenly.
(8) Place new lip seal (14A) (open side down) over threaded end of output shaft and press in until flush
(9) Spread high temperature grease (item 15, Appendix E) on hub of secondary planet carrier (9). Turn
secondary carrier over (hub down) and install into case.