6-72. PLANETARY SPEED REDUCER-Continued
Primary Planetary Repair.
(1) Lift input gear (16), two thrust races (17), and thrust bearing (18) out of primary carrier assembly
Outside diameter of primary carrier thrust washer (19) is
beveled. Larger diameter must be installed into carrier first
when replacing washer.
(2) To replace primary carrier thrust washer (19), snap out with screw driver and snap back in by
(3) Lift sun gear (20) out of primary carrier assembly (7).
(4) Remove three planet pins (21) by pressing them out of primary carrier (7), thus shearing off three
roll pins (22). Support carrier while pressing out planet pins.
(5) Slide three planet gears (23) along with six planet washers (24) out of primary carrier (7). The three
inner bearing races (25) should drop out of the planet bearings (26) as the gears are being removed
from the carrier.
(6) If planet bearings (26) must be replaced, they may now be pressed out of primary planet gears (23).
(7) Use 1/8" pin punch to remove pieces of sheared off roll pins from primary planet pins (21) and primary
(8) Rebuild primary planet carrier assembly in reverse order using any needed new parts. New roll pins
(22) are always required. Planet pins (21) should be installed with chamfered end of 1/8" hole toward
outside diameter of carrier. This will aid in alignment of holes while inserting new roil pins (22).
d. Secondary Planetary Repair.
(1) Procedure is same as para c. on Primary Planetary Repair for secondary carrier (9), secondary planet
gears (30A), planet washer (27), planet bearings with inner bearing races (28), secondary planet pins
(29), and roll pins (30).
Secondary planet gears (30A) are not to be installed into
secondary carrier (9) until step (8) of Unit Assembly (para. g.) is
completed. Press fit not required on reinstallation of secondary
planet pins (29) into secondary carrier (9).