6-72. PLANETARY SPEED REDUCER
This task covers:
Shaft Assembly Repair
Cleaning and Inspection
Case Assembly repair
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
Main Engine Shutdown (see para 2-12.)
APU Shutdown (see para 2-16.)
Batteries Disconnected (see para 4-114.)
Shop Equipment, Automotive
Planetary Speed Reducer Removed
Maintenance and Repair
(see para 5-53.)
(1) Remove fill plug (1) and two drain plugs (2) and drain oil from unit. Maximum drainage occurs
when oil is warm.
(3) Lift cover (5) off. Remove and discard cover O-ring (6).
(4) Lift primary planetary assembly out of case by lifting up on planet carrier (7).
(5) To remove ring gear (8), first remove eight case bolts (7A) and lockwashers (7B), then devise a puller
by using the cover, some long 3/8" in. bolts and a small bottle jack. Set jack inside unit on top of
secondary carrier (9). Turn cover upside down and set it on jack. Screw at least two bolts into ring
gear (8) and use jack to pull ring gear (8) free from dowel pins (10). Remove and discard ring gear O-
(6) To remove secondary carrier assembly, loosen lock screw in clamp nut (12) with 5 mm hex wrench.
Unscrew clamp nut until it touches bottom of secondary planet gears (13). Then use puller to rnove
secondary carrier (9) up shaft spline until clamp nut (12) is again tight. Unscrew clamp nut again until it
touches planet gears (13). Repeat process until clamp nut and carrier are off.