6-69. POWER TAKE-OFF UNIT-Continued
All parts should be lightly coated with automatic transmission
(1) Install two adapter plugs (40) in housing (26). Torque to 25 ft lbs (34 N·m).
(2) Install two pipe plugs (39) in adapter plugs (40).
(3) Install pipe plug (38) in end of idler shaft (31) so it is below surface of shaft.
(4) Install two needle bearings (36) and spacer (37) in input gear (35).
(5) With groove in idler shaft (31) facing towards tapped hole for set screw (31) in base of housing
(26), slowly press idler shaft into bore in housing, while installing two each thrust washers (32 and
33) two thrust needle bearings (34), and input gear (35) with two needle bearings (36) and spacer
(37) onto shaft.
(6) Install set screw (31). Torque to 12 ft Ibs (16 N·m).
(7) Press oil seal (29) in to closed end bearing cover (28).
(8) Install gasket (30) on bearing cover (28) and attach bearing cover to housing (26) with four hex
head cap screws (27). Torque to 13 ft lbs (18 N·m).
Friction discs (16) must be alternated with clutch plates (17) for
proper assembly. If reusing removed friction discs and clutch
plates, they must be reinstalled in same sequence as removed.
Wear patterns have been established and should not be
disturbed by interchangable discs and/or plates. Damage and
improper operation would result.
(9) Install eight friction discs (16) and seven clutch plates (17) onto external teeth of inner clutch gear (14).
Rotate seven clutch plates (17) to align their inner teeth with
external teeth of inner clutch gear (14).
(10) Install inner clutch gear(14) with eight friction discs (16) and seven clutch plates (17) onto drive
end of shaft (7). Rotate gear as required to engage inner teeth with teeth on shaft.
(11) Install new retaining ring (9) to retain inner clutch gear (14) on output shaft (7).
(12) Place clutch spring (15) over shaft (7) and into inner clutch gear (14).
(13) Install vee ring (22), two new O-rings (20 and 21) and wiggler wire (19) into clutch piston and ball