6-69. POWER TAKE-OFF UNIT-Continued
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is potentially dangerous. Avoid
repeated and prolonged breathing of vapors and skin contact
with the liquid. Do not use near open flame, arcing equipment
or other ignition sources. Always wear eye protection and
protective clothing. The flash point of P-D-680 is 100 to 138
deg. F (30 to 50 deg. C).
(1) Clean all parts in dry cleaning solvent (Item 3, Appendix E).
Death or serious injury could occur if compressed air is directed
against the skin. Do not use compressed air for cleaning or
drying unless the pressure is/has been reduced to 30 psi (2.11
kg/cm²) or less. When working with compressed air, always use
chip guards, eye protection and other personal protective
(2) Dry all parts with compressed air.
(3) Visually inspect threads of parts removed for damage. Replace all those with damaged threads.
(4) Visually inspect ail tapped holes and O-ring seal counterbores in housing (26). Replace housing if
(5) Check ball and needle bearings (11, 13, 25 and 36) and needle thrust bearings (34) as detailed in
paragraph 4-9. Replace as required.
(6) Check all gears (8, 14 and 35) and gear teeth on and internal spline in gear teeth shaft (7) and on
seven clutch plates (1 7) as detailed in para 4-9. Replace as required.
(7) Examine clutch spring (15) for damage. Replace as required.
(8) While maintaining in same sequence as removed, inspect friction surfaces of eight friction
discs (16) and seven clutch plates (17). If any are not reusable, replace entire set.
(9) Inspect wear face of clutch piston and ball assembly (18). Replace as required.