6-29. MAIN BEARINGS AND CRANKSHAFT-Continued
crankshaft main bearing journals (6).
(5) Attach suitable lifting device to crankshaft
Serious injury could occur if heavy equipment if
moved/lifted without sufficient personnel to do the
job. Use proper physical lifting procedures or use a
suitable lifting device or dolly. Wear safety shoes,
gloves and other suitable protective clothing. Area
should be clear of other personnel. Serious injury
or death can result from failing objects.
(6) Operate lifting device while installing
(7) Push crankshaft (7) to front and install
thrust washer (8). Push crankshaft (7) to
rear and install other thrust washer.
(8) Align tab (9) with slot (10) and install
bearing shell (11), making sure both ends
of bearing shell are flush with bearing cap
(12) mounting surfaces.
(9) Install four bearing shells (9) on other
bearing caps (12).
(10) Install two thrust washers (13) on rear
bearing cap (12) so that grooved sides of
thrust washers point away from bearing
and crankshaft main bearing journals before doing
steps (11) to (13).
(11) Place strip of plastic gauge across width
of bearing shell (11) ¼-in. (6 mm) from
(12) Do step (11) for four other bearing caps