6-29. MAIN BEARINGS AND CRANKSHAFT-Continued
Do steps (1) to (4) only if the studs, dowels, and
plugs have been removed.
(1) Install two longer studs (1) in front bearing
(2) Install two shorter studs (3) in second
bearing cap (4).
(3) Install four dowel pins (5) in rear bearing
(4) Install four plugs (7) in crankshaft (8).
Do not handle bearing shells and thrust washers
more than necessary for installation. Sweat from
hands can damage bearing shells and thrust
Bearing surfaces are numbered 1 to 5 from front to
rear of engine block. Repeat steps (1) and (2) for
four other bearing surfaces.
(1) Align tab (1) on upper bearing shell (2) with
slot (3) on engine block bearing surface (4).
(2) Install shell (2). Make sure both ends of
shell are flush with bearing cap mounting
shells (2) after installation.