6-29. MAIN BEARINGS AND CRANKSHAFT - Contlnued
Fuel is very flammable and can explode easily.
To avoid serious injury or death, keep fuel away
from open fire and keep f ire extinguisher within
easy reach when working with fuel. Do not work
on fuel system when engine is hot. Fuel can be
ignited by hot engine. Smoking is prohibited
while working with fuel.
(1) Clean crankshaft (1) and bearing caps (2) with clean diesel fuel (Item 41, Appendix E) and a lint free
(2) Flush oil passages (3) in crankshaft (1).
(3) Visually inspect crankshaft (1) for signs of
burning or overheating.
(4) Inspect crankshaft connecting rod journals (4)
and main bearing journals (5) for deep
Replace crankshaft (1) if
(5) Inspect connecting rod journals (4) and main
bearing journals (5) for signs of cracks at
connecting rod journal oil holes (6) or at
joining points (7) of connecting rod journal
and main bearing journals.
crankshaft (1) if damaged.