6-16. VALVE SEAT INSERTS - Continued
New valve seat inserts are pre-ground and need
not be ground after installation. All inserts are
installed in same manner.
(1) Put cylinder head (1) in water heated to a
temperature of 180 to 200°F (82 to 93°C) for not
less than 30 minutes.
Be sure to wear protective gloves and clothing
to prevent personal injury when handling heated
(2) Place cylinder head (1), bottom side up, on wooden blocks and place valve seat insert (2), seat
side up, in counterbore.
(3) Drive valve seat insert (2) into place until seated solidly in cylinder head using valve seat insert
(4) Set dial indicator (Appendix B, Section III, item 32) on cylinder head and check roundness of each
valve seat insert relative to valve guide. Total runout must not exceed 0.002-in. (0.05 mm).
(5) If runout exceeds 0.002-in. (0.05 mm), check for damaged or worn valve guide.
(2) Install cam followers and push rods (see para 6-22).