6-8. CYLINDER BLOCK- Continued
(11) Use straight edge and feeler gauge to
measure flatness of engine block (1)
crosswise, between all cylinders (7).
(12) If block (1) varies more than 0.003-in.
(0.076 mm), replace engine block (1).
(13) Using a straight edge and feeler
gauge, measure flatness of engine
block contact surface (1) lengthwise.
If block (1) varies more than 0.007-in.
(0.178 mm), replace engine block (1).
Cylinders may be counterbored
to either of two depths.
(14) Using counterbore depth gauge,
measure depth of counterbore (8). If
depth is not between 0.4755-in.
(12.08 mm) and 0.477-in. (12.12 mm)
or between 0.4905-in. (12.46 mm)
(12.50 mm) and
cannot be brought into limits by
installing cylinder liner insert, replace
(15) If counterbore (8) varies more than
0.0015-in. (0.04 mm) around edge of
cylinder, replace engine block (1).
If two adjacent cylinders are in different counterbore depth ranges measured in
step (14) above, step (16) does not apply.
(16) If difference between any two adjacent cylinder counterbores (8) measured at their closest point (9)
is more than 0.0015-in. (0.04 mm), replace engine block (1).