6-6. FIRE PUMP - Continued
(56) Support the mid-section (15) and cap assembly (42) in an upside down position on suitable supports.
(57) Lower one end of the chain (21) into the case until it touches the inside of the cap (42). Reach down
into the case and grasp the lower end of the chain (21) and pull it up and engage it with the teeth on
the driven sprocket (26) and drive sprocket (24). Mesh the chain ends together around the drive
(58) Tap the short connecting pin (23) partway through holes in end links. Tap a spring pin (25) in one hole
of the long connecting pin (22), and start the long pin (22) in the side link alongside the short pin (23).
Make sure the long pin (22) is installed nearest the end of the connecting guide link.
(59) Tap both connecting pins (22 and 23) through the chain end links, aligning the links as the pins go
through. Tap the other spring pin (25) in the other hole of the long connecting pin (22). Make sure the
spring pins overlap the short connecting pin (23) on each end.
(60) Install correct amount of shims (31) on the coupling shaft housing (12), or if all original parts are being
reused, reinstall original shims (31) (if not reusable, replace with new shims) on coupling shaft housing
(12) applying a light coat of sealant (Item 35, Appendix E) between shims (31) and on both faces of
first and last shim. Install the housing (12) over the bearings (78 or 79) on the coupling shaft (32).
Tighten housing (12) in case half with cap screws (9 and 13) and lockwashers (10 and 14). Use the
cap screws (9) with the nylon seal in lower half of housing and screws (13) in upper half.
(61) Install tachometer driven gear (29) in drive shaft housing (11) making sure it fits into bushing (30)
previously installed in the housing.
(62) Install sleeve (28) over end of gear (29) and thread into housing (11). Install flinger V-ring (66) on end
of the driven shaft (67).
(63) Install magnetic drain plug (106).
(64) Install breather (105).
(65) Install oil level plug (107) and sight plug (108).
(66) Install sump oil strainer (7) and elbow (6).
(67) Install gasket (46) over pilot diameter on oil pump (45).
(68) Position pump (45) with gasket (46) on adapter (47).
(69) Line up drive tang of oil pump shaft with slot in driven shaft (67).
(70) Fit pilot diameter of oil pump (45) into adapter (47) making sure tang on oil pump shaft and slot in
driven shaft line up and engage.
(71) Fasten pump (45) to adapter (47) with screws (43) and washers (44) which pass through pump into the