5-43. FORWARD TANDEM AXLE AND DRIVE UNIT
This task covers:
Cleaning and Inspection f.
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive (Appendix B, Section III, Item 1) Tool Kit (Item 4) Carrier Stand (Item
85, Appendix B, Section III)
MATERIALS/PARTS REQUIRED Engine Oil (OE) (Item 20, Appendix E) Dry Cleaning Solvent (Item 3,
Appendix E) Silicone Gasket Material (Item 35, Appendix E) Oil, Gear (Item 45, Appendix E) Cord (Item 55,
Appendix E) Tags, Identification (Item 32, Appendix E) Compound, Retaining (Item 7, Appendix E) Marking
Compound (Item 56, Appendix E) Solder (Item 57, Appendix E) Oil Seals (Fig. 164, Appendix F) Bearing
Cones (Fig. 164, Appendix F) Bearing Caps (Fig. 164, Appendix F) Retaining Rings (Fig. 164, Appendix F)
EQUIPMENT CONDITION Main Engine Shutdown (see para 2-12.) Batteries Disconnected (see para 4-114.)
Forward Tandem Axle and Drive Unit Brake Chambers Removed (see para 5-35.) Forward Tandem Axle and
Drive Unit Slack Adjusters Removed (see para 4-146.) Forward Tandem Axle and Drive Unit Brake Drums and
Shoes Removed (see para 5-36. and 5-37.) Tires and Wheels Removed (see para 4-143.) Water Pump to
Rear Axle Drive Shaft Removed (see para 5-7.)
(1) Use a suitable jack or hoisting equipment to raise truck high enough to remove axle.
(2) Place sufficient blocking under truck frame to safely support truck during axle removal.
(3) Remove four nuts (1), washers (2) and screws (3) and disconnect torque rod (4) from axle.
(4) Remove two nuts (5), washers (6) and screws (7) to disengage torque rod bracket from truck frame.
(5) Remove two nuts (5), washers (6) and screws (7) from forward rear drive axle (8) and equalizer beams
(6) Support forward tandem axle and drive unit with a suitable mobile jack; lower it and roll out from under