5-42. REAR TANDUM AXLE AND DIFFERENTIAL - Continued
(13) Match mark one carrier leg and bearing cap to aid in installing caps in same position when assembling
(14) Remove cotter pins (2) holding the two bearing adjusting rings (3) in position. Use a small drift to
remove the pins.
(15) Remove four screws (4) and washers (5) securing bearing caps (6) to differential carrier. Remove
bearing caps and two adjusting rings (3) from carrier.
(16) Using a strap and a lifting device, lift main
differential from the carrier. Place the main
differential on a clean work bench.
(17) Check differential case halves for match
marks. If match marks are not visible, match
mark each case half with a center punch and
(18) Remove sixteen screws (7) and washers (8).
Separate the case halves (9). Use a leather
or plastic mallet to loosen case halves.
(19) Remove two thrust washers (10), four thrust
washers (18), four pinion gears (12), two side
gears (13) and spider (14).
(20) Remove twelve nuts (15), washers (16) and screws (17) and separate ring gear (18) from case half