5-38. AIR DRYER
This task covers:
Cleaning and Inspection f.
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
Engine Shutdown (see para 2-12.)
(Appendix B, Section III, Item 1)
APU Shutdown (see para 2-16.)
Batteries Disconnected (see para 4-114.)
Grease, Barium Based (Item 51, Appendix E)
Dry Cleaning Solvent (Item 3, Appendix E)
Tags, Identification (Item 32, Appendix E)
Pipe Sealant (Item 2, Appendix E)
O-rings (Fig. 153, Appendix E)
The air dryer is located near the front axle on the passenger
(1) Park the vehicle on a level surface and prevent movement by means other than the brakes.
Compressed air directed against the skin can cause death or
serious injury. Always drain the air tanks via the drain cocks
prior to removal.
(2) Drain ALL reservoirs to 0 psi (0 kPa).
Compressor discharge line may still contain residual pressure.
(3) Tag and disconnect the three air lines from the end cover and note the position of end cover ports
relative to the vehicle.
(4) Unplug the vehicle wiring harness (1) from the heater and thermostat assembly connector on the
purge valve housing assembly (31).
(5) Loosen the hex bolt (2) securing the upper mounting strap (30).
(6) Remove, retain and MARK the two end cover cap screws (3), lock nuts (4) and four special
washers (5) that retain the lower mounting bracket (6) to the end cover. Also mark the two holes of
the end cover. (These bolts are longer that the other six bolts.)
(7) Remove the air dryer from its mounting brackets (6 and 35) on the vehicle.