5-33. HUBS, BEARINGS, AND SEALS - Continued
Cleaning and Inspection.
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 (safety or Stoddard's solvent) is
potentially dangerous. Avoid repeated and prolonged breathing
of vapors and skin contact with the liquid. Do not use near open
flame, arcing equipment or other ignition sources. Always wear
eye protection and protective clothing. The flash point of P-D-
680 is 100 to 138 deg. F (38 to 59 deg. C).
Wash all components using dry cleaning solvent (Item 3, Appendix E).
Death or serious injury could occur if compressed air is directed
against the skin. Do not use compressed air for cleaning or
drying unless the pressure is/has been reduced to 30 psi (2.11
kg/cm ) or less. When working with compressed air always use
chip guards, eye protection and other personal protective
(2) After washing, dry all components using compressed air. Do not allow bearings to spin while drying
with compressed air.
(3) Inspect bearing cups for cracks, or warped mating surfaces.
(4) Inspect bearings for pitting, scoring or other defects.
(5) Replace all gaskets and seals.
(6) Inspect hub assembly for cracks.
(7) Evidence of damage of any kind is cause for rejection. Replace components or assembly as