Fill center housing (20) with clean engine oil through fitting (21).
Be sure the exhaust manifold remains seated on the locating
pads on the cylinder head.
Connect oil hose (22) to elbow (21) and tighten hose nut. Tighten the turbo to exhaust
manifold adapter bolts to 30-35 lb-ft.
(1) Connect air inlet elbow to turbocharger (see para 4-128).
(2) Connect exhaust outlet pipe to turbocharger (see para 5-44).
(3) Connect batteries (see para 4-114).
The lube oil supply connector formerly installed in the plate is
now assembled directly to the turbocharger center housing. The
oil inlet of current TV turbochargers is being threaded by the
(4) Start engine and run at idle for ten minutes. Engine oil pressure should register at 10 PSIG on the
gauge in the cab.
Do not hold the compressor wheel, for any reason, while the
engine is running. This could result in personal injury.
(5) Check turbocharger gaskets and ducts for leaks.
If any such noise is apparent, stop the engine immediately and
determine the cause.
(6) Operate the engine at rated output and listen for sounds of metallic contact from the turbocharger.
After the turbocharger has been operating long enough to permit
the unit and the oil to warm up, the rotating assembly should
coast freely to a stop after the engine is stopped. If the rotating
assembly jerks to a sudden stop, the cause should be
immediately determined and eliminated.
(7) Shut off engine.
(8) Install engine enclosure (see para 4-127).