2-12. OPERATING PROCEDURES - Continued
Shutting Down the Engine.
(1) After stopping the truck, engage the parking brakes by pulling the PARKING BRAKE knob OUT.
(2) Place the transmission shift lever in N (neutral) position.
The turbocharger can be damaged unless the engine is idled for
at least 2 minutes. The turbocharger normally operates at 40 to
60,000 rpm and is lubricated by the engine oil pump. Therefore,
to prevent lack of lubrication, reduction in speed is necessary
before the engine is stopped.
(3) Idle the engine at least 2 minutes, then turn the IGNITION ON/OFF switch to OFF.
(4) Switch OFF all lights and accessory controls.
(5) Set BATTERY switch to OFF.
2-13. FIREFIGHTING OPERATIONS
(1) Put transmission shift lever in N (neutral) position, set parking brake and block wheels.
(2) Relief valve should be in the OFF position when the pump is first put into use.
(3) Close discharge valves and drain openings.
(4) Unless pumping from water tank, connect suction hose to pump suction connection.
(5) When connecting discharge hoses, make sure they are free of kinks and sharp bends.
(6) Make sure all hose connections are tight. For proper operation, suction and discharge gaskets
must be clean and in good condition.
Pumping from Hydrant or in Relay.
(1) Close all valves.
(2) Connect suction hose between hydrant or relaying pump and pump suction connection.
(3) Open suction, hydrant, or other valves as necessary to allow water to enter pump.
(4) With the engine at idle speed, select PUMP mode using the ELECTRIC PUMP SHIFT switch on
the cab instrument panel.
OK TO PUMP panel light (Green) will illuminate when pump
transmission is engaged.