4-166. EXHAUST PIPE CLAMPS AND HANGERS
THIS TASK COVERS:
a. Replacement of Clamps A and Hanger A
e. Follow-on Maintenance
b. Replacement of Clamp B
c. Replacement of Clamps and Hangers C
d. Cleaning and Inspection
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
Main Engine Shutdown (see para 2-12.)
(Appendix B, Section III, Item 1)
APU Shutdown (see para 2-16.)
Batteries Disconnected (see para 4-114.)
Dry Cleaning Solvent (Item 3, Appendix E)
The exhaust pipe and muffler can become very hot during vehicle operation. Be
careful not to touch these parts with bare hands, or allow body to come in contact
with pipe or muffler. Exhaust system parts can become hot enough to cause
Replacement of Clamps A and Hanger A
(1) Support exhaust system while replacing clamps and hangers.
(2) Remove two nuts (1) and washers (2) from U-bolt (3), and remove U-bolt (3) from clamp (4).
(3) Remove nut (5), four washers (6) and two springs (7) from stud of clamp (4) and
remove clamp (4)
from bracket (8).
(4) Refer to para d. below for cleaning and inspection instructions.
(5) Install two washers (6) and one spring (7) on stud of clamp (4). Insert stud of clamp (4) through bracket
(8) on truck frame.
(6) Install two washers (6), one spring (7) and nut (5) on stud of clamp (4). Tighten nut (5) until
approximately 1/2" of threads are showing above nut (5).
(7) Place U-bolt (3) in clamp (4) and secure with two nuts (1) and washers (2).