4-142. TRANSMISSION - Continued
(4) Discard filter (2) in a combustible waste area.
(5) Coat gasket of new filter with clean transmission fluid (Item 12, Appendix E).
(6) Install filter (2) and tighten it to one-half turn beyond gasket contact.
(7) Install drain plug (1) in transmission.
(8) Loosen two knurled screws (3) and remove dipstick access door (4) from passenger side engine
enclosure. Remove transmission dipstick.
(9) Add 33 quarts (31.2 1) of transmission fluid (Item 12, Appendix E) through transmission dipstick tube.
Install transmission dipstick.
Place transmission in neutral. Start main engine and allow it to idle.
Remove transmission dipstick and wipe fluid off with a clean lint-free cloth (Item 42, Appendix E).
Remove transmission dipstick and check fluid level.
Reinstall transmission dipstick.
Add transmission fluid (Item 12, Appendix E) as needed and recheck fluid level.
Check for leaks. Tighten filter (2) slightly and drain plug (1) as needed.
(1) Connect batteries (see para 4-114).