4-114. BATTERIES - Continued
TYPICAL OPEN CIRCUIT VOLTAGE AND SPECIFIC GRAVITY VALUES
Adjust readings as follows for temperature correction:
(5) Using thermometer, measure temperature of each cell.
(6) If temperature is ABOVE 80°F (26.7°C), ADD .004 for every 10°F (5.5°C) increment above 80°F.
(7) If temperature is BELOW 80°F (26.7°C), SUBTRACT .004 for every 10°F (5.5°C) increment below
If specific gravity is less than 1.225 in all cells and/or cells vary more than 50 points, charge battery
and retest. If charging does not restore specific gravity to 1.225 or higher, replace battery.
(8) Make sure battery is fully charged.
(9) Remove cables from battery terminals as described below.
To avoid damage to battery terminals, do not use alligator
clamps to connect load to battery. Connect leads to battery with
bolted cable ends and use switch to connect and disconnect
(10) Connect 290 amp load (0.041 W 4 kW rated resistor or carbon pile) in series with a switch across
battery terminals as shown (a load tester that incorporates the lead and a voltmeter with it may be
used). Turn on switch and wait 15 seconds to remove surface charge. Turn off switch.
(11) Wait 15 minutes after above test. Connect voltmeter across battery terminals as shown. Turn on
switch. After 15 seconds, read voltage and disconnect load.
(12) Compare voltage readings to following table:
LOAD TEST BATTERY VOLTAGES