5-71. APU CYLINDER HEAD
This task covers:
b. Cleaning and
d. Follow-on Maintenance
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
APU Removed (see para 4-207.)
(Appendix B, Section III, Item 1)
APU Flywheel Removed (see para 5-67.)
APU Gear Cover Removed (see para 5-68.)
Shop Equipment, Automotive
APU Governor Cup Removed (see para 5-69.)
Maintenance and Repair
APU Camshaft Removed (see para 5-70.)
(Appendix B, Section III, Item 4)
APU Crankshaft Removed (see para 5-71.)
Valve Seat Insert Cutter (Appendix B, Section III, Item 90)
Decompression Solenoid Removed
(see para 5-73.)
Injector Nozzle Removed (see para 5-77.)
Oil, Lubricating (Item 10, Appendix E)
Marking Compound, (Item 56, Appendix E)
Dry Cleaning Solvent (Item 3, Appendix E)
rocker arm cover (1).
(2) Remove the rocker arm cover (1) and gasket (2) by removing two screws (3) and washers (4).
(3) Remove two cap screws (5) and four cap screws (6) with four washers (7) holding the cylinder head (8)
to the cylinder block.
Do not use a pry to separate cylinder head from cylinder block. It
will damage cylinder head and/or cylinder block.
(4) Remove the cylinder head (8). If it sticks, rap it sharply with a soft hammer. Remove the cylinder head
(5) Remove rocker arms (9), push rods (10), seals (I 1), shields (12), springs (13), washers (14), seals (15),
tappets (16), balls (17) and nuts (18).
(6) Using a valve spring compressor, disassemble the valve assemblies which include valve stem cap
(19), valve spring retainer locks (20), spring retainer (21), spring (22), oil seal (23) (intake valve only)
valve guide (24), valve (25) and valve seat (26).
(7) Remove push rod guide (27).
(8) Disassemble the decompression release assembly by removing palnut (28), retaining ring (29),washer
(30), arm (31), spring (32) and pin (33).