5-58. OUTRIGGER EXTEND/RETRACT CYLINDERS - Continued
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is potentially dangerous. Avoid
repeated and prolonged breathing of vapors and skin contact
with the liquid. Do not use near open flame, arcing equipment or
other ignition sources. Always wear eye protection and
protective clothing. The flash point of P-D-680 is 100 to 138 deg.
F (38 to 59 deg. C).
(1) lean all parts in dry cleaning solvent (Item 3, Appendix E).
Death or serious injury could occur if compressed air is directed
against the skin. Do not use compressed air for cleaning or
drying unless the pressure is/has been reduced to 30 psi (2.11
kg/cm2) or less. When working with compressed air, always use
chip guards, eye protection, and other personal protective
(2) Dry all parts with compressed air.
(3) Inspect inside of tube assembly (1). If cylinder has deep grooves, score marks, or is severely damaged,
(4) Inspect rod assembly (10). If rod is bent, grooved, or pitted; replace it. Minor scratches can be removed
using emery cloth (Item 25, Appendix E).
(5) Inspect gland (6) and piston (4). If gland (6) and/or piston (4) is cracked or broken; replace it/them.
(1) Install new rod seal (7), new wiper seal (8), and new gland O-ring (5) on gland (6).
(2) Apply hydraulic oil (Item 28, Appendix E) to gland (6).
(3) Install new rod O-ring (9), piston (4), and nut (2) on rod assembly (10).
(4) Torque nut (2) to 210 ft Ibs (285 N.m).
(5) Apply hydraulic oil (Item 28, Appendix E) to piston (4).
(6) Install two new piston seals (3) onto piston (4).
(7) Install piston (4), rod assembly (10) and gland (6) as assembly in tube assembly (1).
(8) Use a spanner wrench to thread gland (6) into tube assembly (1) until they are flush.
d. Follow-on Maintenance.
(1) Install outrigger extend/retract cylinder (see para 4-194).