5-40. FRONT STEERING AXLE-Continued
Place the knuckles (8) in a press with at least
5 ton (4500 kg) capacity. Install fabricated tool
in top bushings (38) and press top bushings
from knuckles bores. Repeat for bottom
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
· Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is potentially dangerous. Avoid
repeated and prolonged breathing of vapors and skin contact
with the liquid. Do not use near open flame, arcing equipment or
other ignition sources. Always wear eye protection and
protective clothing. The flash point of P-D-680 is 100 to 138 deg.
F (38 to 59 deg. C).
· Death or serious injury could occur if compressed air is
directed against the skin. Do not use compressed air for
cleaning or drying unless the pressure is/has been
reducedto30psi(2.11 kg/cm2) ) or less. When working with
compressed air, always use chip guards, eye protection, and
other personal protective equipment.
(1) Clean all metal parts in dry cleaning solvent and use compressed air to dry thoroughly.
(2) Apply a light film of engine oil (OE) (Item 20, Appendix E) to parts after drying. Place parts on
clean cloth or container until ready for assembly.
(3) Use a micrometer and telescoping gauge to.
measure inside diameter of knuckle bore. Measure at
two positions at the center line of the side of the
(4) Knuckle bore dimension should be not more
than 2.127 inch (54.025 mm). If dimension exceeds
specifications, replace knuckle.