5-39. STEERING GEAR-Continued
(2) Remove protector boot (3), grease fitting (4) and the dirt and water seal (5) from the trunnion
cover (6). Discard boot and seal.
(3) Remove any paint or corrosion from the exposed area of the sector shaft (2), and loosen the jam
nut (25) on the sector shaft adjusting screw (26).
(4) Remove four bolts (9) and washers (10) from the trunnioncover (6).
(5) Remove the trunnion cover (6). Remove and discard the seal ring (11), the two piece sector shaft
seal (12) and the Teflon back-up washer (13) from the trunnion cover.
(6) Tape the serrations and bolt groove of the sector shaft (2) with one layer of masking tape to
prevent loose bearing rolls from "hanging up" the sector shaft during its removal. The tape should
not extend on to the sector shaft bearing diameter.
Bolts (14) are special because they are equipped with either a
ring or washer design on the underside of the head. If you
replace one or more bolts, you must use bolts or either design
and of the SAME SPECIAL TYPE AND LENGTH AS THOSE
YOU REMOVED. Do not use a substitute.
(7) Prepare for fluid to drain, and remove eight special ring head bolts (14) from the side cover (15).
(8) Begin to remove the side cover (1 5) and sector shaft (2) as an assembly. Stop removal when the
bearing rolls in the housing bearing (1 6) are half exposed. Coat the bearing rolls with grease. As a
means of starting the removal of the side cover and sector shaft assembly, you may use a soft
hammer or wooden hammer handle.
(9) Finish removing the side cover (15) and sector shaft (2) as an assembly. Remove side cover
gasket (17) and discard.
The bearing may contain 41 or 42 rolls, depending upon the type
used. Bearing BR-970 has 41 rolls. Bearing BR- 970-1 has 42
rolls. The identification number can be found on the outside
edge of the bearing race flange. There is also a set of bearing
rolls in the side cover, with either 41 or 42 rolls. The quantity
may not be the same as in the housing bearing. Do not mix
(10) If the housing bearing (16) has loose rolls, remove the bearing rolls from the bearing race, count
them and put them aside as a set for cleaning, inspecting and reassembly.
(11) Remove the sector shaft adjusting screw jam nut (7).