5-26. OIL PAN - Continued
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 (safety or Stoddard's solvent) is
potentially dangerous. Avoid repeated and prolonged breathing
of vapors and skin contact with the liquid. Do not use near open
flame, arcing equipment or other ignition sources. Always wear
eye protection and protective clothing. The flash point of P-D-
680 is 100 to 138 deg. F (38 to 59 deg. C).
(1) Wash the oil pan and fasteners using dry cleaning solvent (Item 3, Appendix E).
Death or serious injury could occur if compressed air is directed
against the skin. Do not use compressed air for cleaning or
drying unless the pressure is/has been reduced to 30 psi (2.11
kg/cm2) or less. When working with compressed air, always use
chip guards, eye protection and other personal protective
(1) Place gasket (7) on pan (6).
Tighten bolts in a crossing pattern working from the center of
pan to ends. Support oil pan while installing.
(2) Install pan (6) and secure with eighteen bolts (4) and eighteen washers (5). Torque bolts to 10-20
Ibs. ft. (14-17 Nm).
(3) Install dipstick (2) in dipstick tube (3).
d. Follow-on Maintenance.
(1) Connect batteries (see para 4-114).
(2) Fill pan with engine oil (Item 20, Appendix E). See para 3-1.
(3) Start and run main engine to check for leaks. Tighten pan bolts as, necessary.