5-25. WATER PUMP - Continued
(21) Place impeller (7), washer (6), and new locknut (5)on shaft.
(22) Hold the pump gear securely in a brass jawed vise. Draw impeller down on tapered shaft with locknut.
Torque nut to 40 ft lb (54 Nm).
(23) Scribe a line across impeller, nut and shaft.
(24) Scribe a line across water pump gear, and shaft.
(25) Insert adaptor into impeller puller holes, apply a torque of 80 ft lb (108 Nm) to the impeller.
(26) Slippage of impeller or gear should not occur at this torque.
(27) If slippage is felt, remove pump assembly from vise and examine the scribe marks. Determine whether
the gear or impeller turned on shaft. In either case, the shaft must be replaced along with the component
(28) After replacing necessary parts, retest the water pump shaft assembly for slippage.
(29) Insert a feeler gauge into the water outlet opening of the pump. The clearance between the impeller and
the bump body must be a minimum of 0.015 in. (0.38 mm). Repair or replace pump assembly to obtain
(30) Install new cover seal ring (4)using grease (Item 1, Appendix E) in groove and on seal ring.
(31) Install cover (2) securely in place with snap ring (1).