(28) Tighten locknut (29) to 160 lb in (18 Nm).
(29) Loosen locknut (29) to approximately 50 lb in (6
(30) Retighten locknut (29) to 152-168 lb in (17 to 19
(31) Align matchmarks on compressor housing (30)
and center housing (5).
(32) Install compressor housing (30) and coupling (31)
on backplate (16).
(33) Apply lubricating oil to threads of coupling screw (32).
Do not tighten compressor housing
clamp until center housing is
aligned with compressor housing.
turbocharger will be damaged.
(34) Tighten locknut (33) to 110 to 130 lb in.
(12 to 15 Nm).
(35) Coat threads of brass fitting (34) with pipe thread
sealing compound and install. Tighten to 240 lb in.
(36) Coat threads with pipe thread sealing compound
and install elbow (34A).
(37) Position magnetic base, equipped with swivel
adapter, dial indicator, and extension rod, on flat
surface of center housing oil outlet flange (35).
Do not allow extension rod to touch sides of center housing.
Inaccurate readings can result in poor fit and damage.
(38) Insert extension rod into oil drain hole so that rod is against turbine wheel shaft.
(39) Grasp turbine and compressor wheels and move turbine wheel shaft up and down. Turbine wheel
shaft must not move more than 0.010-in (0.254 mm) or less than 0.003-in (0.076 mm).
(40) Disassemble and inspect turbocharger (36) if radial clearance of turbine wheel shaft is not within