4-169. FUEL TANK AND MOUNTING BRACKETS
THIS TASK COVERS:
c. Follow-on Maintenance
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
Main Engine Shutdown (see para 2-12.)
(Appendix B, Section III, Item 1)
APU Shutdown (see para 2-16.)
Tags, Identification (Item 32, Appendix E)
Batteries Disconnected (see para 4-114.)
Fuel Oil (Item 41, Appendix E)
JP-4 is an alternate fuel for this truck. JP-4 is a
highly volatile fuel. Extraordinary care must be
taken when servicing components that use this
fuel. The truck must be grounded to an approved
grounding point if it contains JP-4 fuel.
Fuel is very flammable and can explode easily.
To avoid serious injury or death, keep fuel away
from open fire and keep fire extinguisher within
easy reach when working with fuel. Do not work
on fuel system when engine is hot. Fuel can be
ignited by hot engine. When working with fuel,
post signs that read NO SMOKING WITHIN 50
FEET of vehicle.
(1) Place suitable container underneah fuel
(2) Remove fuel tank drain plug (1) and filler
cap (2) and drain all fuel from tank into a
suitable container. Fuel tank capacity is
65 gal. (246 1).
(3) Loosen clamp (3) and disconnect fuel inlet
(4) Place suitable support device under fuel tank.
(5) Remove four hex nuts (5) and remove fuel tan
mounting straps (6) with rubber pads (6A).
(6) Lower fuel tank (7) from truck. Tag and
disconnect leads from two fuel level senders (8).
(7) Tag and disconnect hoses (9, 10, 11 and 12).