4-131. FAN BELT
This task covers:
c. Follow-on Maintenance
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
Main Engine Shutdown (see para 2-12.)
(Appendix B, Section III, Item 1)
APU Shutdown (see para 2-16.)
Batteries Disconnected (see para 4-114.)
Engine Compartment Covers Open
Engine coolant can cause severe burns. Allow
engine to cool before attempting to maintain the
Damage to truck could occur in the event belts are
not equally tensioned. Always replace the belts as
(1) Remove locking bolts (1) from fan belt
(2) Rotate bolt (3) counterclockwise until belts
(4) are loose enough to be pulled over fan
belt pulley (2).
(3) Pull belts (4) over fan and discard.
(1) Check that new belts are a matched set
and are in good condition.
(2) Push belts (4) over the fan and loop them
over the top and bottom fan belt pulleys
(2). Ensure they are not crossed.
(3) Rotate bolt (3) clockwise until belts are
tight. There should be 1/2 in. (13 mm)
movement of belts (4) midway between the
(4) Install four locking bolts (1) on for belt
pulley (2) and tighten. Torque to 68 ft lb
(1) Connect batteries (see para 4-114).
(2) Close engine compartment covers.