4-129. ENGINE ASSEMBLY
This task covers:
b. Follow-on Maintenance
Tool Kit, General Mechanics, Automotive
Main Engine Shutdown-(see para 2-12.)
(Appendix B, Section III, Item 1)
APU Shutdown (see para 2-16.)
Batteries Disconnected (see para 4-114.)
Engine Compartment Covers Open
Engine Oil (Item 20, Appendix E)
Oil Filter (Fig. 81, Appendix F)
(1) Allow main engine to run for approximately five minutes and turn if off.
Engine has an oil capacity of 25 quarts (23.7 I).
(2) Remove oil drain plug (1) and drain oil into suitable container (5 gal. (19 I) capacity).
(3) When oil has drained completely, install drain plug (1).
(4) Unscrew oil filter with filter removal tool. Place drain container under filter.
(5) Discard oil filter (2) in a combustible waste area.
(6) Coat seal gasket of new oil filter with clean engine oil (Item 20, Appendix E).
(7) Install oil filter (2) and tighten it one-half turn beyond gasket contact.
(8) Remove engine oil fill cap (3) from driver's side rocker cover of engine.
(9) Add 25 quarts (23.7 I) of engine oil (Item 20, Appendix E) through oil fill opening.
(10) Install engine oil fill cap (3).
(11) Turn two knurled screws (4) counter-clockwise and remove dipstick access door (5) from passenger
side of engine enclosure.
(12) Remove engine dipstick (6) and wipe off oil with rag.
(13) Reinstall engine dipstick (6).
(14) Remove engine dipstick (6) and check oil level (7).
(15) Reinstall engine dipstick (6).
(16) Add engine oil (Item 20, appendix E) as needed (1 quart (.95 I) at a time) and recheck oil level.
(17) Start main engine and check for leaks at oil filter and drain plug.