4-51. FRONT SUCTION VALVE - Continued
c. Cleaning and Inspection - Gear Box.
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is potentially dangerous.
Avoid repeated and prolonged breathing of vapors and
skin contact with the liquid. Do not use near open flame,
arcing equipment or other ignition sources. Always wear
eye protection and protective clothing. The flash point of
P-D-680 is 100 to 138 deg. F (38 to 59 deg. C).
Death or serious injury could occur if compressed air is
directed against the skin. Do not use compressed air for
cleaning or drying unless the pressure is/has been
reduced to 30 psi (2.11 kg/cm2) or less. When working
with compressed air, always use chip guards, eye protec-
tion, and other personal protective equipment.
(1) Clean all parts using cleaning solvent P-D-680; dry using compressed air.
(2) Check housing (1 6) and gears (7 and 12) for cracks or breaks. Replace part if any of these
conditions are observed.
(3) Inspect bearing (1 4) for wear or damage. Replace if worn or damaged.
(4) Inspect shaft (11) for bends, deep grooves or scoring. Replace if damaged in any way.
Assembly - Gear Box.
(1) Install new seal (15).
(2) Install two bearings (14), gear (12) and shaft (11).
(3) Align hole in gear (12) and shaft (11). Install new roll pin (10).
(4) Install new O-rings (9) on segment gear (7). Apply a thin coat of grease (Item 1, Appendix E) to
(5) Install segment gear (7) and stem adapters (8) in housing (16) as shown.
(6) Pack housing (16) with grease (Item 1, Appendix E) and rotate shaft (11) back and forth several
times to distribute grease.
(7) Install cover (6) and new gasket (17) on housing (16). Install two screws (4) and two screws (5).
The two shorter screws are used on the shaft end of the
(8) Install indicator (3) with two screws (2) as shown.
(9) Remove two limit stop locking screws (18) and unscrew two limit stop screws (19) several turns.