4-42. WATER VALVE- Continued
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is potentially dangerous. Avoid repeated and
prolonged breathing of vapors and skin contact with the liquid. Do not use near
open flame, arcing equipment or other ignition sources. Always wear eye
protection and protective clothing. The flash point of P-D-680 is 100 to 138 deg. F
(38 to 59 deg. C).
(1) Clean all parts in dry cleaning solvent (Item 3, Appendix E).
Death or serious injury could occur if compressed air is directed against the skin.
Do not use compressed air for cleaning or drying unless the pressure is/has been
reduced to 30 psi (2.11 kg/cm2) or less. When working with compressed air,
always use chip guards, eye protection, and other personal protective equipment.
(2) Dry all parts with compressed air.
(3) Inspect valve body (2) for cracks and damaged threads. Replace as necessary.
(4) Inspect ball valve (1 3) for grooves or cracks. Replace as necessary.
(1) Install new actuator shaft O-ring (15) and actuator shaft (14). Apply a thin coat of silicone grease
(Item 11, Appendix E) to actuator shaft.
(2) Fit ball valve (13) to actuator shaft (14).
(3) Install new pivot bolt O-ring (12) and pivot bolt (11). Apply a thin coat of silicone grease (Item
11, Appendix E) to O-ring.
(4) Install new seat O-ring (5) and new seat (4) in new seat retainer (1). Apply a thin coat of silicone
grease (Item 11, Appendix E) to O-ring.
(5) Install new retainer O-ring (3). Apply a thin coat of silicone grease (Item 11, Appendix E) to
inside edge of seat retainer.
(6) Use spanner wrench to thread seat retainer (1) clockwise into valve body (2) until tight.
(7) Install two stop plates (10) to original position on actuator shaft (14).
(8) Install new handle O-ring (9). Apply a thin coat of silicone grease (Item 11, Appendix E) to O-
(9) Install handle (8) to original position.
(10) Install handle washer (7) and capscrew (6).