This task covers:
Distilled Water (Item 54, Appendix E)
Main Engine Shutdown (see para 2-12 .)
APU Shutdown (see para 2-16 .)
Batteries contain sulfuric acid. They may also contain explosive
mixtures of hydrogen and oxygen gases in each cell at all times.
To avoid serious injury, always wear face shield, goggles,
safety shoes, gloves and protective clothing when working with
batteries. Keep sparks, flames, burning cigarettes or other
ignition sources away at all times.
(1) Visually inspect outside of battery for cracked or broken case cover, damaged or missing filler caps and
(2) Check condition of battery cables. Inspect for corrosion on battery terminals and cable terminations.
Clean minor corrosion off terminals and cable terminations using scraper and terminal cleaning
(3) Make sure ground cable makes good connection at gro nd point, and check cable connections at starter
relay and solenoid. Tighten if necessary.
(4) Make sure holddown bar secures battery properly. Tighten
(5) If there is serious physical damage, refer to Unit
Service. Check Electrolyte Levels.
Check electrolyte level weekly. Water loss occurring at above
normal rate indicates short circuit.
(1) Remove filler caps (1) from battery.
(2) Check electrolyte level in each cell. If electrolyte is below tops of plates in any cell, fill all cells with
water to just above tops of separators. Use distilled water (Item 54, Appendix E).
(3) Install filler caps (1).