2-13. FIREFIGHTING OPERATIONS-Continued
(5) Depress the brake pedal and engage truck transmission into D (drive).
Do not put truck transmission in reverse.
Damage to water
pump may result.-
If the green OK TO PUMP light does not illuminate, or a grinding
noise occurs, move the transmission back to N (neutral), pause
for several seconds and then move the selector to D (drive).
When pump is engaged, truck speedometer should indicate
approximately 18 MPH.
(6) Prime the pump by pulling PRIMER control handle out.
(7) Turn RELIEF VALVE lever to ON position and rotate INCREASE/DECREASE handle to obtain
desired pump output pressure.
(8) Open DISCHARGE valves slowly and accelerate engine with THROTTLE control on pump panel
to obtain desired discharge pressure and capacity.
Monitor engine coolant temperature. If the temperature exceeds
210 deg. F (99 deg. C), or the alarm sounds, open ENGINE
COOLER control valve gradually until temperature stabilizes at
200 deg. F (93 deg. C). Failure to heed this caution may cause
e. Pumping from Water Tank.
(1) Make sure all caps are tight on pump side suction connections.
(2) Engage pump transmission. Engage truck transmission into D (drive).
Do not put truck transmission shift lever in R (reverse) position.
Damage to water pump may result.
(3) Open valves in piping between watertank and pump suction, and at least one DISCHARGE