TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
stock having a diameter slightly less than the cam lever pin
(24), and using this rod as an aligning tool, temporarily hold
the rocker arm and lever assembly in place.
Fig. 4 Exploded View Screen Filter Type Fuel Pump
Legend for Fig. 4
WASHER, Cover Bolt
SLEEVE, Compression Tube
NUT, Compression Tube
GASKET, Inlet and Outlet Valve
VALVE, Inlet and Outlet
SCREW, Valve Retainer
RETAINER, Oil Seal
WASHER, Rocker Arm
PIN, Cam Lever
WASHER, Lock, 5/16 Medium
BOLT, Hex Head, 5/16 NF x 7/8
WASHER, Housing Screw
2. Push new pin (24) through the body and cam lever
assembly as the aligning rod is drawn out. Install new
washer (20) on the end of the pin and install new pin
retainers in pump body.
3. Place gasket (9) and valves (10) in valve housing (6) and
hold the valves in place with valve retainer (11) and
screws (12). To make sure the valves are installed
correctly, note that the flat side of the outlet valve must
face toward the diaphragm and that the inlet valve is just
4. Depress the rocker arm enough to bring the diaphragm
level with the pump body and hold the rocker arm in this
position by means of a wedge or tool. Place pump valve
housing (6) over the diaphragm, matching up the
alignment marks of the valve housing with the pump
5. Install cover screws (28) and lockwashers (27) and
partially tighten the screws but do not compress the
lockwashers. Remove the wedge or tool from the rocker
arm and operate the rocker arm a few times before
tightening the valve housing down securely.
6. Place screen assembly (5) and gasket on the valve
housing. Then position the cover (3) on pump assembly
and install the cover bolt (1) and washer (2).
Suspended or Side-Mounted Bowl Type
The suspended bowl type fuel pump, Fig. 5, and the
side-mounted bowl type fuel pump, Fig. 6, are disassembled
in the following manner:
1. Loosen the fuel bowl retainer and remove the retainer, fuel
bowl gasket and paper or ceramic element.
2. Use pliers and remove the cam lever return spring.
3. Pry out the cam lever shaft seal plug and also remove the
shaft retaining spring pin to permit removal of the cam
lever pin. Take out the cam lever.
4. Match-mark the edges of the valve housing assembly and
pump body assembly with a file to assure correct
alignment at reassembly.
5. Remove the valve housing-to-pump body mounting screws
and separate the valve housing assembly from the pump
6. Pull the diaphragm and spring assembly from the pump
PRINTED IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA